Dr. Emadul Islam is a research fellow at the Ocean Policy Research Institute at the Sasakawa Peace Foundation, Japan. He is also an adjunct scholar for the National Bureau of Asian Research (NBR), Washington DC, USA. Prior to this, Dr. Islam served as a development expert and researcher in three different organizations, including Transparency International Bangladesh; BRAC; and the Centre for Bay of Bengal Studies at Independent University, Bangladesh for research and evaluation. He was conferred a PhD in Community Development under the Yayasan Khazanah scholarship from the University of Malaya, Malaysia in 2021. Dr. Islam was awarded the Fulbright Visiting Scholarship in 2022-23 for pursuing Post-Doctoral research at Northeastern University, Boston, USA.
Blue economy, climate change adaptation, disaster recovery, renewable energy and marine plastic pollution
Ocean Risk Vulnerability Index for Climate Change Assessment: Cases of Fiji, the Philippines, and Bangladesh, ADBI and OPRI, 17th November 2021
“The Factors Regulate to Community Participation in Sustainable Disaster Recovery Program: An Experience of Cyclone Aila Disaster Affected Coastal People Bangladesh” World Bosai Forum, 9-12 November 2019 Sendai, Japan
“Disaster Vulnerability and Recovery Status of the Coastal People Bangladesh: A Possible Social Work Intervention in Sustainable Disaster Recovery” International Social Work Symposium 27-28 April 2019, organized by Malaysia Association of Social Work (MASW).
“The Status of Community Participation in Sustainable Disaster Recovery Program: An Experience of the Coastal Community of Bangladesh” 21st Biennial International Conference of International Consortium for Social Development (ICSD), 16-19 July 2019, University of Gadjah Mada, Indonesia.
Delegate MODEL ASEM Spinoff Singapore, 8-10 December, 2017
Delegate of UNFCCC “Conference of Youth” COY 13 – 2-4 November, 2017, Bonn, Germany Co-convener- International Symposium on Community led Social Work Intervention for Sustainable Development (ISCSD), 6-7 January 2020, hosted by Department of Social Administration and Justice, University of Malaya, Malaysia
Panelist - Blue Economy and Blue Finance: Towards Sustainable Development and Ocean Governance (Nov. 10-11), Hosted by ADBI and OPRI, The Sasakawa Peace Foundation, Japan
Co-convener- Moving Forward in the Indo-Pacific: Bangladesh’s Role in Fostering An Open, Resilient, and Interconnected Bay of Bengal and Beyond
Jointly organized by U.S. Embassy in Bangladesh and Centre for Bay of Bengal Studies, Independent University Bangladesh; Date and type- 1st February 2022, Hybrid
Co-convener and presenter-International Conference on Moving Forward in the Indo-Pacific: Bangladesh’s Role in Fostering an Open, Resilient, and Interconnected Bay of Bengal and Beyond. Jointly organized by U.S. Embassy in Bangladesh and Centre for Bay of Bengal Studies, Independent University Bangladesh, March 31, 2022
(2022) Bangladesh,s Efforts at Adaptation and What More Needs to be done for Sustainable Disaster Recovery, CBoBS Journal, Vol-1
(2020) Structural and Operational Factors as Determinant of Meaningful Community Participation in Sustainable Disaster Recovery Programs: The Case of Bangladesh”. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction. 50. Elsevier https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2020.101710
(2020) The Impact of a Cyclonic disaster on Coastal Communities in Bangladesh: Possible Community-led Interventions towards Sustainable Disaster Recovery”. Global Social Welfare Journal, Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40609-020-00181-5 ISI web of science index Q1
(2013) Situation of Child Domestic Workers in Bangladesh. Global Journal of Management and Business Research. Global Journals Inc: USA, Volume 13 Number 7.
(2012) Barriers and Scope of Political Participation of Women in Local Government of Bangladesh: Union Parishad Perspective. Journal of International Social Issues. Winona State University: USA, Volume 1 Number 1 Page 71-85.
(2012) The Invisible Children Working as Domestic Labour: A Study in Dhaka City. The Journal of Social Development, ISWR: University of Dhaka, Volume 24 Number 1 Page 35-55.
(2012) Micro-credit and Women Empowerment: Some Case Reflection from Rural Bangladesh, Social Science Review: The Dhaka University Studies, Volume 29, Number2, Page 131-138.
[Edited Volume Chapters]
(2021) Impact of COVID 19 in food insecurity and coping mechanism of marginalized people Bangladesh: An experience of BRAC. Book chapter in the IGI Global
At what costs? A proposal for estimating migration costs in the Bangladesh-Malaysia corridor. Cambridge University press; DOI: 10.33774/coe-2020-4rt46
- Fulbright Visiting Scholars- Post Doctoral Research (2022-23), Northeastern University, Boston, USA
- Yayasan Khazanah Asia Scholarship 2017 – Ph,D study
- Dhaka university Alumni Association outstanding academic award “EBL-DUAA award 2012
- Dhaka university Alumni Association outstanding academic award “MTB-DUAA award 2008”.
- Academic scholarship primary, junior and HSC examination.
- Deputy Director, Centre for Bay of Bengal Studies (CBoBS), Independent University Bangladesh (IUB), July 2021-June 2022
- Senior Analyst, Monitoring and Evaluation, BRAC, Dhaka, Bangladesh, February 2020-June 2021
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Research Officer, Islamic Relief Worldwide, Bangladesh, March 2014-May 2017
- Assistant Programme Manager, Research and Policy Department (Research & Policy), Transparency International Bangladesh, November 2012-February 2014)
- M&E consultants for the World Bank Group funded government project Export Competitiveness for Jobs (EC4J) (July 2020 - June 30, 2021).
- Research lead “Development and Application Climate and Ocean Risk Vulnerability Index in the Context of Sustainable Blue economy: A Focus on Chittagong City Bangladesh” jointly implemented by Ocean Policy Research Institute (OPRI), Japan and the Stimson center USA ( July 1, 2020 - March 30, 2021).
- "Vulnerability, Social Dignity and Livelihood Choices of the River Bank Erosion Victims in Bhola District of Bangladesh" funded by Islamic Relief Bangladesh.
- 10 Billion Strong (https://www.tenbillionstrong.org/) Chapter lead (January 2020- present)
Project: Environmental Accelerator Program in Bangladesh Managing small grants (USD 1000)
- United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network-Youth Program Officer (August 2017 - August 2019)
Project: Global Schools Programme
- Youth Engagement & Support (YES group), Transparency International Bangladesh Group leader (January 2008 - December 2010)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph,D) 2021, Field of study-Community Development Yayasan Khazanah (YK scholar), Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences, University of Malaya, Malaysia
- Master of Social Sciences in Social Welfare, 2010, CGPA 3.68 out of 4, Institute of Social Welfare and Research, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Bachelor of Social Sciences in Social Welfare, 2009, First Class (First position), Institute of Social Welfare and Research, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh