Professor, International University of Japan
Military History and Strategy, International Security Policy and Strategy, Japan-U.S. Alliance.
Lieutenant General (retired) YAMAGUCHI, JGSDF is professor, Graduate School of International Relations, International University of Japan since 2015. He has served as Senior Visiting Fellow (2020-2023) and Advisor (2015-2019) to the Sasakawa Peace Foundation while teaching at the International University of Japan. He was graduated from the National Defense Academy and joined GSDF in 1974. He received his MA from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University in 1988, and was a National Security Fellow at John M. Olin Institute for Strategic Studies, Harvard University in 1991-1992. After serving as Senior Defense Attaché at the Japanese Embassy in the United States (1999-2001), he has held positions as Deputy Commandant of the GSDF Aviation School (2001-2002), Director for Research of the GRDC (2002-2005), Vice President of the National Institute for Defense Studies (2005-2006). Since 2006 he held responsibilities as Commanding General of the GSDF Research and Development Command until he retired from active duty in December 2008. From 2009 to 2015 he taught at the National Defense Academy of Japan. After the Great East Japan Earthquake in March 2011, he served at the Prime Minister’s Office as Special Advisor to the Cabinet for Crisis Management until September. In 2017, he was appointed by the Foreign Minister as a member of the Group of Eminent Persons for Substantive Advancement of Nuclear Disarmament.
His recent publications include: Noboru Yamaguchi, “An Unexpected Encounter with Hybrid Warfare: The Japanese Experience in North China, 1937-1945,” Williamson Murray (ed.), Hybrid Warfare: Fighting Complex Opponents from the Ancient World to the Present (Cambridge,2012); Noboru Yamaguchi and Shutaro Sano, “Japan-India Security Cooperation: On Pursuit of a Sound and Pragmatic Partnership,” Poised Partnership, Deepening India-Japan Relations in the Asian Century (Oxford University Press, 2016).
List of publications
- 2023.05.01 Military reasons why Ukraine will not be defeated: a ground operations perspective
- 2022.05.30 The shadow of tactical nuclear weapons falling over Ukraine: the reason that the possibility of the use of nuclear weapons by Russia cannot be eliminated
- 2021.12.06 【Shaping the Pragmatic and Effective Strategy Toward China Project：Working Paper Vol.3】The Geostrategy of BRI vs. FOIP and the Role for Japan
- 2021.02.01 The Ongoing Paradigm Shift under Shifting Geopolitics and Covid-19
- 2020.03.31 Putting Seoul’s Difficult GSOMIA Choice in Perspective
- 2019.06.06 Why a Constitutional Amendment Would Be a Good Idea：An Interview with Former GSDF Lieutenant General Noboru Yamaguchi