Ministry of Environment, Japan, Coastal Ocean Environmental Assessment Committee, member (1992-)
Monitoring 1000 program designing committee, Chair (2007-)
London Convention CO2 disposal WAG discussion group, member (2006-2007)
CCS discussion committee, chair (2008-)
EBSA selection committee (2011-2014)
Japanese Red List Marine Section Editing Committee (2011-2017)
Japanese Red List Editing Committee (2017-)
Japanese Biodiversity Outlook Lead Author (2016-)
Metal Mining Agency Japan, Manganese Nodule Mining Environmental Research Advisory Committee, member (1991-2000)
Hydrothermal Vent Metal Mining Committee, member, working group “Environmental conservation” chair (2008-)
Cobalt Rich Crust Mining Committee, member (2011-2015)
RITE, Technical Committee, member (1994-2009)
UNESCO, C-GOOS Steering Committee, member (1998-2000)
Global Ocean Science Report Editorial Board member (2018-)
Census of Marine Life (CoML at CORE), Science Steering Committee member (1999-2010)
OBIS Steering Committee member (2001-2004)
Japanese OBIS Steering Committee, Chair (2013-)
JAMSTEC, Deep-sea Research Planning Committee, member (2000-2004)
BROD Research Advisory Board (2002-2006, 2008-2016)
GBIF Japanese Node Technical Committee (2002-2010)
External Review Committee (2000)
IPCC Special Report Lead Author (2002-2005)
DINRAC Focal Point (2006-)
IPBES MEP (2014-2018), IPBES Asia Pacific Regional Assessment Report: Lead Author (2015-2017)
Science Council of Japan, Associate Member (2010-)
Oceanographic Society of Japan (member (1980-), Editorial Board, Journal in Japanese (1990-1994), Editorial Board, Journal of Coastal Oceanography (1991-), Secretary (1995-1997))
Zoological Society of Japan (member (1981-), Editorial Board, Zoological Science (1994-97))
Ecological Society of Japan (member (1982-))
Japanese Society for Systematic Zoology (member (1980-), Editorial Board (1990-1994, 1996-1999)),
Election Manager (1994-1997, 2007-2008), Executive committee member (1995-1996, 1999-2002, 2003-2005, 2007-2009))
Japanese Association of Benthology (member (1980-), Executive committee member (1990-1997, 2000-2003), Secretary in Chief (1990-1997))
Nematological Society of Japan (Member (1989-), Editorial Board (1993-2009), Executive committee member (1995-1996))
International Association of Meiobenthologists (Member (1980-), Board of correspondence (1985-1992), Executive committee member (1992-), President (1999-2001))
The Society of Nematologists (member (1980-2011))
American Microscopical Society (member (1982-2011))
Biological Society of Washington (member (1988-2011))
Science Counsel of Japan (cooperate member (2008-))
[Selected List of Publications]
1. Swinbanks, D. D. and Y. Shirayama (1986): High levels of natural radionuclides in a deep-sea infaunal xenophyophore. Nature,320, 354-357.
2. Shirayama, Y. (1997): Biodiversity and biological impact of ocean disposal of carbon dioxide. Waste Management, 17, 381-384.
3. Takeuchi, K., Fujioka, Y., Kawasaki, Y. and Shirayama, Y. (1997): Impacts of high concentration of CO2 on marine organisms; a modification of CO2 ocean sequestration. Energy Conversion Management, 38, s337-s341.
4. Shirayama, Y. (1997): Proposal of experimental design to assess the biological impacts caused by the CO2 storage in the deep-sea. In, B. Oremond (ed.) Ocean Storage of CO2. Workshop 4. Practical and experimental approaches. IEA, London, 71-76.
5. Shirayama, Y., Ohta, M., Yamamoto, T., Okita, K. and Tanase, T. (1999): Long-term effects of sublethal increase of CO2 concentration on three marine benthic invertebrates. 2nd International Symposium on Ocean Sequestration of Carbon Dioxide, NEDO, Tokyo, pp. 91-92.
6. Ishida, H. and Shirayama, Y. (1999): The development of benthic chamber for in situ experiments. 2nd International Symposium on Ocean Sequestration of Carbon Dioxide, NEDO, Tokyo, pp. 102-103.
7. Shirayama, Y. (2002) Towards comprehensive understanding of impacts of marine organisms due to raised CO2 concentration. Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on CO2 Fixation and Efficient Utilization of Energy, Pp. 177-181.
8. Adams, E., Akai, M., Alendal, G., Golmen, L., Haugan, P., Herzog, H., Masutani, S., Murai, S., Nihous, G., Ohsumi, T., Shirayama, Y., Smith, C., Vetter, E. and Wong, CS (2002) International field experiment on ocean carbon sequestration. Environmental Science and Technology, 36, 399A.
9. Kurihara, H., Shimode, S. and Shirayama, Y. (2004) Sub-lethal effects of elevated concentration of CO2 on planktonic copepods and sea urchins. Journal of oceanography, vol.60, pp. 743-750.
10. Kurihara, H., and Shirayama, Y. (2004) Effects of increased atmospheric CO2 on sea urchin early development. Marine Ecology Progress Series, vol. 274, pp. 161-169.
11. Kurihara, H., Shimode, S. and Shirayama, Y. (2004) Effects of raised CO2 concentration on the egg production rate and early development of marine copepods (Acartia steueri and Acartia erythraea). Marine Pollution Bulletin, 49: 721-727.
12. Shirayama, Y., and H. Thornton (2005): Effect of increased atmospheric CO2 on shallow water marine benthos, Journal of Geophysical Research, 110, C09S08, doi:10.1029/2004JC002618.
13. Ishida, H., Watanabe, Y., Fukuhara, T., Kaneko, S., Furusawa, K. and Shirayama, Y. (2005) In situ enclosure experiment using a benthic chamber system to assess the effect of high concentration of CO2 on deep-sea benthic communities. Journal of Oceanography, 61, 835-843.
14. Caldeira, K., Akai, M., Brewer, P., Chen, B., Haugan, P., Iwama, T., Johnston, P., Kheshgi, H., Li, Q., Ohsumi, T., Portner, H., Sabine, C., Shirayama, Y., and Thomson, J. (2006) Chapter 6. Ocean Storage, In, Metz, B., Davidson, O., de Coninck, H., Loos, M. and Meyer, L. (eds.) IPCC Special Report on Carbon Dioxide Capture and Storage. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 277-318.
15. Watanabe, Y., Yamaguchi, A., Ishida, H., Harimoto, T., Suzuki, S., Sekido, Y., Ikeda, T., Shirayama, Y., Takahashi, M., Ohsumi, T. and Ishizaka, J. (2006) Lethality of increasing CO2 levels on deep-sea copepods in the Western North Pacific. Journal of Oceanography, 62, 185-196.
16. Kurihara, H., A. Ishimatsu and Y. Shirayama (2007) Effects of elevated seawater CO2 concentration on the meiofauna. Journal of Marine Science and Technology//National Taiwan Ocean University, 15, 17-22.
17. Ishida, H., Watanabe, Y. and Shirayama, Y. (2008) Impact of CO2 on deep-sea benthic community measured using benthic chamber. Journal of Ocean Technological Society Japan, vol.14, pp. 73-80. (in Japanese)
18. Fujikura K, Lindsay D, Kitazato H, Nishida S, Shirayama Y (2010) Marine Biodiversity in Japanese Waters. PLoS ONE 5(8): e11836. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0011836
19. Brenda Konar, Katrin Iken, Gerhard Pohle, Patricia Miloslavich, Juan Jose Cruz-Motta, Lisandro Benedetti-Cecchi, Edward Kimani, Ann Knowlton, Thomas Trott, Tohru Iseto, Yoshihisa Shirayama (2010) Surveying Nearshore Biodiversity. In, Life in the World's Oceans: Diversity, Distribution, and Abundance, pages 25 - 42; , ISBN: 9781444325508
21. Takehisa Yamakita, Hiroyuki Yamamoto, Masahiro Nakaoka, Hiroya Yamano, Katsunori Fujikura, Kiyotaka Hidaka, Yuichi Hirota, Tadafumi Ichikawa, Shigeho Kakehi, Takahiko Kameda, [......], Kenji Sudo, Hiroya Sugisaki, Kazuaki Tadokoro, Katsuhiko Tanaka, Yoshie Jintsu-Uchifune, Kentaro Watanabe, Hiromi Watanabe, Yumiko Yara, Norishige Yotsukura, Yoshihisa Shirayama (2015) Identification of important marine areas around the Japanese Archipelago: Establishment of a protocol for evaluating a broad area using ecologically and biologically significant areas selection criteria Marine Policy. Marine Policy 01/2015; 51:136-147.
2018: Oceanic State Promotion Contributors Award
2011: Prize of Minister, Ministry of Environment Japan
2011: Cosmos Prize (as a member of scientific steering committee of Census of Marine Life)
1988-1989: Postdoctoral Fellowship, Smithsonian Institution
1988: Okada Prize (Distinct Young Scientist Award, Oceanographical Society of Japan)
2018-now: Associate Executive Director, Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology
2011-2018 : Executive Director for Scientific Research, Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology
2007-2011: Director, Field Science Education and Research Center, Kyoto University
2003-2007: Director and Professor, Seto Marine Biological Laboratory, Field Science Education and Research Center, Kyoto University
1998-2003: Director and Professor, Seto Marine Biological Laboratory, Graduate School of Science,
1997-1998: Professor, Seto Marine Biological Laboratory, Faculty of Science, Kyoto University
1991-1997: Associate Professor, Ocean Research Institute, University of Tokyo
1984-1991: Assistant Professor, Ocean Research Institute, University of Tokyo
1982-1984: Postdoctoral Fellow, Japan Society for Promotion of Sciences
1977-1982: Graduate School, Faculty of Science, The University of Tokyo
1973-1977: Institute of Zoology, Faculty of Science, The University of Tokyo
1970-1973: Toyama Metropolitan High School