Michael C. Huang has been affiliated with the Ocean Policy Research Institute (OPRI) as a Research Fellow since 2018. His expertise is general equilibrium analysis using the GTAP modeling for policy simulations. Dr. Huang is in charge of economic analysis for projects of Blue economy, Creative research towards the future of the oceans that consists of Blue finance and Economy, Science, technology, and innovation policy assessment, and Disaster risk management. In addition, his research activities are related to United Nations Sustainable Blue Economy Finance Initiative and Asian Development Bank Ocean Financing Initiatives. Dr. Huang's research fields aim to connect the ocean to the social system on various topics, including Renewable energy, Deepsea water industry, Resilient global supply chain, Eco-Friendly shipping & hydrogen society, and cultural satellite accounting (CSA) for heritages.
Before OPRI, Dr. Huang served as a researcher in the Science for RE-designing Science, Technology and Innovation Policy (SciREX) Center at the National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS) and Asian Development Bank Institute (ADBI) in Tokyo. He is also managing special economic seminars in the Faculty of Economics at Toyo University for Ocean and disaster economics, Asian economic development and integration, and Policy analysis. He holds a Ph.D. in Public Economics from GRIPS and is a member of Japan Ocean Policy Society, Japan Economic Association, and the Japan Castle Foundation.
Blue Finance, Blue Economy, Policy Simulation, Disaster Economics
2. Huang M.*, Tanaka H. (Forthcoming) “Tsunami risks assessment and creation of resilience index (RI): Case of Southern Hokkaido (Donan) area with GIS and general equilibrium approach”, Marine Policy.
3. Tanaka H., Yoshioka N., Huang M.* (Forthcoming) “Disaster Impact Assessment and Vulnerability Index (VI) of a Tsunami: An Approach using Geographic Information System (GIS) and General Equilibrium for Mie Prefecture, Japan”, IDRiM Journal.
4. Huang M.*, Liou P., Tanaka H., Yoshioka N. (Forthcoming) "Recovery investment on resilient power: An approach of GTAP modeling under the Nankai Trough Earthquake and Tsunami" International Journal of Environment Research and Public Health.
5. Huang M.*, Kim C., Chen C. (Forthcoming) “Reforming State-Owned Enterprises via Government R&D Investment towards Sustainable Future: Policy Simulations for Japan Railways and Japan Post”, ADBI Working Paper Series.
11. Tanaka H., Huang M.* (2020) “Policy Simulations of 6th industrialization subsidy using recursive general equilibrium model: Case of Hakodate city, Hokkaido”, Ocean Policy Studies 14: 73-87. [in Japanese]
16. Huang, M.*, Leen, A. (2007) “How a Free Market System Resulted in Hegemony and a Magnificent Era: The Case of Oda, 16th Century, Japan”, Archives of Economic History 19: 5-16.
1. Huang M.*, Liou P., Tanaka H., Yoshioka N. (Forthcoming) "Global Economic Assessment of Renewable Energy for ESG Investment in Asia Using Dynamic GTAP Model," in Nemoto N. and Morgan P. (eds), Strengthening Environmental, Social, and Governance Investment Under the COVID-19, Tokyo: ADBI Publishing.
2. Huang M.*, Kuroda M. (Forthcoming) Investigation of Japan’s value chain through R&D and innovation under demographic change: Implications for digitalization in the post-COVID-19 era, in Sirivunnabood P. and Park S. (eds) Economic Impacts of Demographic Transition: Cases of Asia and Europe. Springer.
3. Huang M.*, Yoshioka N., Tanaka H. (Forthcoming) “Design for Global Supply Chain Disaster Risk Financing: Examining Cost-effective Industrial Policy for ASEAN Countries” in Disaster Resilience and Financing for Sustainable Economic Growth, D. Lutfiana & V. Anbumozhi (eds), Jakarta: ERIA.
4. Kuroda M., Huang M.* (Forthcoming) “Evaluation of knowledge stocks of R&D expenditures as intangible assets on static/dynamic TFP measures by input-output framework”, Global Value Chain Development Report 2021: Beyond Production, ADB-OECD.
Japan Society of Ocean Policy
Japan Economic Association
Applied Regional Science Conference
Japan Castle Foundation
Research Fellow, OPRI (2018-present)
Project Leader of Blue Finance, OPRI (2018-present)
Managing Guest Editor for Marine Policy (2020-present)
Distinguished Researcher, National University of Kaohsiung (2019-present)
Visiting Researcher, GRIPS (2019-present)
Adjunct Lecturer, Toyo University (2016-present)
Resource Speaker for ADBI Capacity Building Team (CBT) (2016-2018)
Post-doctoral Fellow, SciREX Center, GRIPS (2015-2018)
Research Associate, ADBI (2012-13)
Global Health Diplomacy Workshop, iGHP, NCGM-MOFA, Japan (2017)
International Development Professional Training Program, GRIPS-MOFA, Japan (2012)
Master in International Economics, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (2011)
Ph.D. in Public Economics, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (2015)